Time travelling was a recent thought that had, like any other good, substantial thoughts sprung into my head one day when I was bathing. It was so persistent, nagging at the back of my head that I had to Google it the moment I booked out.
I instinctively clicked the first link that popped up and it directed me to Wiki, which made me regret my course of action. I simply could not force pages and pages of dry, crusty theoretical physics into my head, feeling duller by the sentence, I decide to draw my own conclusions based on influences by various media sources.
First and foremost, which is the most important point, travelling through time is not possible at all.
Why?
1) You do not actually "move" physically into a specified period of time, say, 1960s or 2254. What does happen, assuming travelling through time was possible, was that you, as the test subject in the present would have to be destroyed. And another "you" would have to be constructed in another period of time that the previous you wanted to travel to.
But, that would imply that 1.1) technology like that must exist in the present, and 1.2) technology like that must have also existed in the specified period of time that you wished to travel to. So, what happens if you wanted to travel to an earlier period of time, when the technology did not exist? The you being destroyed in the present would not have been reconstructed in the past! Which leads me to the second point.
2) So now you say, yes I have the technology now, surely if I were travel far enough into the future, man must have unraveled the mystery to traveling through time, and Volia! I can be reconstructed in the future! Wrong. Did you not think that if it were possible, it simply implies that hordes of people from the future must already have traveled back and arrived in the present and point out quite plainly that travelling through time was possible?
3) Next, I move on to the concept of time. Which is quite hard to explain or quantify. I feel like you cannot simply stretch time into a long line with individual markings, like a movie, divided into small screen shots, each capturing 0.1second worth of motion.
An excerpt from Wiki: "The opposing view is that time does not refer to any kind of "container" that events and objects "move through", nor to any entity that "flows", but that it is instead part of a fundamental intellectual structure (together with space and number) within which humans sequence and compare events. This second view, in the tradition of Gottfried Leibniz[5] and Immanuel Kant,[6][7] holds that time is neither an event nor a thing, and thus is not itself measurable nor can it be travelled."
I think its because there are so so so many other things happening at the same instant! A colony of lichen maybe growing, a man may be kissing his daughter, an engineer may be sitting in his workroom cutting a diamond etc. What about other universes? Other planets not located within our solar system, I am talking about the cosmic galaxy!
How are we so sure that they abide by the same rule that govern our solar system? Do we share this concept of "time"? Do we all have the same amount of moments to do a particular task? I see time as a concept of "before" and "after" viewpoint mixed in with so many other contributing factors, like how man has decided that 1 day = 24 hours. Time is "unlimited", or should I say infinite. You cannot actually have it or measure it.
How should I put it.....erm.....the way I see it, its like one never-ending mass of invisible barrier, enveloping everything. I am moving, sometimes randomly, sometimes with a sense of purpose somewhere within the barrier. There are other countless individuals like me, also doing the same thing. Some are bigger in mass, different in color and so on, like existing in a subset under time.
That way, we( the other individuals and I ) are distinctively different, and yet, we belong in the same set. Sometimes I think, the subsets converge partially, and the different subsets sometimes act in unison, but not to the extent of being identical. Often, these converged subsets never stay connected permanently but weave in and out in the infinitesimal space with all the other countless subsets.
A subset within a subset within a subset and so on, Earth is represented that way in my mind. So technically, if one wished to "time travel" so as to speak, its now possible, because you would just be moving from one subset into another subset already existing, you just have to know where to locate it within the subset it may exist in.
So there, loads of thoughts cramped into an unusually long shower in camp :D