My feelings at this precise moment are kind of difficult to describe.
It lies somewhere between here and there, not too much leaning towards here, nor taking any preference to there, just plain ol' between here and there.
Promotions came and went as quickly as the morning's cold gust of wind, leaving some refreshed and energised, while others only felt its chilly and lonely bitterness. Some see it as an opportunity, as an indication of perhaps rain? And some are indifferent.
Feeling chilly and bitter, friend S could only emanate jealously(which he attempts to hide) and discontenment. Resolved to never put in effort ever again(for the upteenth time) with such vehement, friend S leaves me feeling between here and there.
Even if I am blessed with the gift of gab; that I am able to charm the birds off tree branches and orang utans off vines, I was tongue-tied.
Should I comfort him, perhaps telling him that we all will be promoted in time, which was of course the truth? No, that would be like entertaining him, treating him like a child.
Maybe I can point out that his dreadful atittude which he is in constant denial is the biggest hinder to promotion? Nope, that would be like pressing a blown balloon against the cactus. The truth hurts more than you think.
Then conceivably I could join him in his incessant grumbling about people who did not deserve the promotion but got it in instead? No, I long recongnised and accepted the fact that nothing is fair in this world .
Furthermore, I got promoted as well, which I feel is appropiate given my efforts.
Its a tricky, sticky affair isint it? Sounds like getting gum stuck in your hair and attempting to dislodge it using fingers covered in melted cotton candy.
So I ended playing dumb. Not speaking to friend S and pretending or play-acting that nothing ever happened, only to respond to other non-related things.
I hope he wasnt serious about to never to put in effort again or in his words, half-fucked standards.
Sigh...