3 days away from turning 21.
Turning 21, or the coming of age. In some societies, like those steeped in traditional cultures and rituals, initiations are held for boys and girls to prepare them into becoming men and women; likewise in modern society such as ours.
However, I do not think that turning 21 holds much significance for myself; other than the legal complications that come along with it.
I feel that it is not a milestone for myself.
Ok, for instance, will I have a achieved a Nobel prize when I turn 21?
Made a life-changing decision, for example, adopting a religion at last?
Planning for marriage?
Inherit a considerable windfall?
Completed 10 years of volunteer work?
Earned my first car?
No. None. So why should I be celebrating it lavishly?
Yes, no doubt it makes me happy and thrilled that on this day people whom care about me make me feel special, but somehow, 21 is just another number, bearing legal consequences.
Why dont people celebrate 22nd? One year after coming of age, to prove that you, as an adult, have endured the turmoils of the society and is ready to face it for the rest of your life?
Or perhaps 35? 14 years later, to prove your worth and standing in the society, to celebrate your hard work and earnings. To motivate yourself, more importantly to re-energize oneself for the road ahead. To counter mid life crisis, should there be one. To focus on your life goals when you might have lost some on the way to becoming 35.
50? 31 years later, to celebrate what you have sowed previously in your career. To enjoy the fruits of your labour. (or 55 when you get cpf)
70? 49 years later, just to celebrate that you are you still alive ( blessing or curse, depending on mental and physical well being)
I do not mean to trivialize 21st, but to me, its just another passing number.
You could argue that 21st is the key ( no pun intended) to all the following celebrations. But no use having extravagant celebrations and lavish gifts when the next day you return to your old self, not being any wiser from 20 years of experience, no growth from mistakes you make, zero increase of maturity in thinking and actions right?
That being said, I still enjoy parties! Just that maybe not for myself. To each his own I guess. Different people have a different take on life. Look forward to my 35th birthday celebration! :)
Perhaps its just to remind me that time is trickling away, I need to sort my priorities out, rank my needs and wants, adjust my lifestyles, evaluate goals and focuses and plan for the future.