The week in camp was lively, as lively as watching a cactus grow.
So buddy A and I decided to randomly call other camp mates who where having off, enjoying peace and serenity at home. We struck upon the idea of posing as their "boyfriend" if any other family member picked up the phone. Obviously, we laughed till our stomachs cramped.
But on the journey home with Buddy A, I suddenly asked him a question "What if your son/daughter was a homosexual? What would you do?"
He was visibly stunned, with trees blurring in the background, he replied genuinely "I have no idea..."
And this prompted me to blog about homosexuals. My stand is that I empathize with them.
Firstly, I see absolutely no reason to shun them or publicly display my hatred for them. Hating someone is too arduous. They are still people, just like there's black skinned, yellow skinned and so on. Homosexuals are just variants of the same species. They are people with the same mental and physical capabilities.
Next, you may feel squirm-ish, but they do not really have a choice do they? Just like why insects have 6 legs and elephants have a long trunk, they did not choose to be this way.
(P.S even the usage of "this way" makes me feel guilty, its like exclaiming something went wrong. Eg; "Why does she have to behave in this way?" It sounds derogatory to me.)
People choose to love or desire a member of the opposite sex because it is innate, its just how they feel inside, or rather, how their brain chooses to perceive. So it is logical that man A (homosexual) is attracted to man B in the same way woman A is attracted to man C.
Moving on, the most important point that I have decided to point out, is that who decides what is right and wrong? Who is to say what the "norm" is? Society has functioned all along in a democratic sort of mannerism, we decide together, collectively. We may seem like separate individuals acting in our accordance, but really, our thoughts and actions are the result of a majority agreement.
Think about some simple things occurring everyday, are they not the result of a democratic "vote"? Like why men are frowned upon and seen as feminine to wear skirts etc...
So this brings me back to the point, who decided that love, mentally and physically between the same sex is wrong? Morals, you may stand up and shout, but on whose morals? Can there ever be a set of morals that are absolutely correct and should be followed? Aren't your morals the sieved results of the members of the society? So erasing all prejudices and assume that you have not been influenced by societal "norms", you would have to agree that there is absolutely nothing wrong with homosexuals.
Of course I am not denying that the bulk of HIV positive patients come from the homosexual community. But this stems from the irresponsibilities of these frivolous individuals.
That being said, I cannot entirely say that I am not biased against these group of people because of how they feel within the society. Picture yourself being a homosexual set in a traditional family and a conservative society. Imagine the helplessness they experience, the confusion and fear.
Lastly, as a afterthought to myself (picturing 2 scenarios; 1: I am an homosexual,ie not in the closet kind, everybody around me knows the fact, and or, 2: My child is an homosexual) on the bus, if homosexual was an illness which was hereditary and medication was available, would I want it? Would I want to cure it?
I think, shamefully, despite me advocating the fair treatment of homosexuals, I will want the cure. After all, who can be strong-willed enough to swim against the flow of currents of the society AND at the same time manage to keep afloat from the dull, lead-heavy baggage of family pressure?